Marshmallow root is supremely amazing for hair as an herbal detangler! Its mucilaginous properties soften the hair naturally while providing easy slip when combing. You can personalize this recipe with herbs that are right for your hair type and color. Chamomile is great for blonds. Sage is perfect for darkening. Nettle is very nourishing. Aloe vera juice has a ph of 4.5-6, so it’s similar to our hair ph. I used horsetail and oatstraw because they are high in silica and other nutritive minerals for great hair health.
The following recipe was shared by Sharron Lavy, accounts manager at the Bulk Herb Store.
- 3 cups distilled water
- 2 tablespoon marshmallow root
- 1 tablespoon horsetail
- 1 tablespoon oatstraw
- 1 c aloe vera juice
- *optional 10-30 drops essential oil
- Make an herbal decoction with the marshmallow root and water.
- Boil water and add marshmallow root then turn down to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Take off heat and add remaining herbs.
- Let rest at least 15 more minutes.
- Strain through cheesecloth-lined sieve into bottle when cool.
- Add aloe vera juice (if the infusion results in less than one cup, I just use equal parts aloe vera juice so its half infusion and half aloe) and essential oil.
- Spritz on comb or hair and get to work!